Oh yes-Chocolate Zucchini muffins. They’re Paleo-friendly and more importantly, kid friendly. You can make them vegan by substituting the eggs out for flax-seed eggs if you’re so inclined.
I just love healthy food disguised as dessert-it makes it totally acceptable to binge eat, right?
I found this recipe from Paleogrubs, and it’s amazing. The only adaptation I made was to my juicer to juice 3 med/large zucchinis rather than shredding and squeezing the moisture out of the zucchinis. It worked fabulously although it made about 2/3 c. of dense zucchini pulp vs. the 1 c. the original recipe calls for.
So, grab some zucchini and sneak those veggies into your family’s (or your) diet.
Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- 1 c./240 g. almond butter (For nut-free, use 3/4 c./180 g. sunflower seed butter)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 c./81 g. maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 2 T. coconut flour
- 2 T. cocoa powder (4 T. if you prefer a dark chocolate flavor)
- 1 t. apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 1 c. shredded zucchini (or the juicer pulp from 3 med/lg zucchinis)
- 1/4 c. Paleo approved dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces (I used Enjoy Life mini chips. They’re barely Paleo, but they work).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (365 if you’re using dark pans) and line 24 mini cupcake pans.
- If you are using shredded zucchini, squeeze out as much moisture as you can in-between 2 paper towels.
- Mix together almond butter, eggs, maple syrup, vanilla, and salt.
- Mix in the coconut flour.
- Sprinkle the baking soda over the mix and add the vinegar. Mix!
- Mix in the zucchini and chocolate (save a few pieces to sprinkle n top if you want)
- Scoop into the lined pans. Mine were about 3/4 of the way full. Sprinkle extra chocolate on top.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Eat. Then eat. And Eat.